AIGA Cleveland is soliciting nominations for new board members to join the all-volunteer, working board of local members, designers and creative professionals. By nominating yourself, you can help us create a place where design thrives for all!
How to nominate yourself.
Submit your full name, email, professional and/or AIGA-related experience (if applicable), and the reasons why you would be a great addition to the board, along with a reference or recommendation and the open position you feel you are most suited for. For nominees interested in the Communications, Email, Blog and/or Social Media positions, writing samples are also required.
To submit your nomination complete this short form by Friday, November 10th. Questions can be sent to board president, Sarah Spalding
Who we’re looking for.
We are currently looking to fill a variety of open positions listed here. Board members do not necessarily need to be designers, but will have an interest in supporting the creative community. Examples of non-design board members could include, but are not limited to, writers, engineers, content strategists, development or fundraising specialists, project managers and business owners.
New board members receive guidance throughout the year from more senior board members. Because of this, our search focuses on candidates with valuable soft skills — teamwork, communication, flexibility, patience, time management and motivation.
It’s important to our chapter that the board be diverse and represent the Cleveland design community. We aim to have a board with diversity in industry, age, gender, professional experience, race, background, education, income, physical ability and more. However, nominees are not required to offer this information.
What are the commitments?
- Nominees must be (or become) AIGA Cleveland members in good standing at the Supporting level or above. Visit aiga.org/join to find out more about membership options.
- New board members commit to serve one-year or two-year terms, depending on the position.
- New board members must chair at least one program — or work directly with a more senior board member — in their first year on the board.
- Second-year responsibilities may vary, depending on the individual or open positions on the board.
- Board members may be required to attend monthly board meetings, depending on the position.
- Board members must be ambassadors of AIGA to members and non-members.
What happens after you submit your nomination?
A nominating committee will review nominees and you may be invited to take part in a group interview, if necessary. The nominating committee which consists of the current executive committee and one member-at-large will recommend new board members.
What are important dates in the process?
- Nomination period:
- Opens Monday, October 30, 2017
- Closes Friday, November 10, 2017
- Selected nominees notified:
- Friday, November 17, 2017
- General membership voting:
- Opens Thursday, November 30, 2017
- Closes Friday, December 8, 2017
- New terms begin:
Why should you join the Board of Directors?
There are a vast number of benefits of becoming a board member, but here are a few to think about:
- Opportunities for leadership in producing events
- Learning new skills like event planning and public speaking
- Managing teams outside of work
- Complimentary registration to AIGA Cleveland events
- Making connections in the larger creative community
- Access to the local, regional and national design network
- Shaping the current state and future of design
- Giving back to the design profession
- Paying it forward to emerging and future creative practitioners
- Enjoying the camaraderie among the board members